AOT Inspects Thai Container Deployment Blocking Thousands of Cambodians From Returning Home
PHNOM PENH, August 20, 2026 — The ASEAN Observer Team in Cambodia (AOT-KH) conducted a field visit to Banteay Meanchey province on Saturday to observe and verify the situation along the Cambodia-Thailand border, including the deployment of shipping containers by Thai military forces that Cambodia says is preventing thousands of civilians from returning home.
The Cambodian Liaison Group (CLG) facilitated the visit at 8:32 a.m. on August 22, with the AOT-KH mission led by its Head of Mission from the Philippines, according to an unofficial translation of a statement issued by Cambodia’s Ministry of National Defence.
During the visit, the ASEAN observers inspected what the ministry described as the illegal deployment of 62 shipping containers across five locations in Chok Chey Village, O’Bei Choan Commune, O’Chrov District.
Cambodia said the container deployment has prevented 3,951 Cambodian civilians, or 1,045 families, from returning to their homes, including 1,155 children.
The ministry said the AOT’s direct observation and verification of displaced civilians who remain unable to return home demonstrate the need for the Cambodia-Thailand Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) to resume border demarcation work as soon as possible.
Cambodia linked the call to Point 4 of the December 27, 2025 Joint Statement of the Third Special Meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand General Border Committee (GBC), which it said is intended to ensure Cambodian citizens can return safely, peacefully and with dignity without obstruction.
The Defence Ministry also reiterated Cambodia’s position that its international border with Thailand must be maintained according to the boundaries established by the Indochina-Siam Boundary Commission, as well as relevant international law, treaties, conventions, maps and boundary documents previously agreed by both sides.
Cambodia specifically invoked the principle of uti possidetis juris, maintaining that it does not recognise any alteration of the border resulting from the use of force.
The statement was issued by Cambodia’s Ministry of National Defence and presents the Cambodian government’s account of the border situation. The allegations regarding the deployment of the containers and their impact on civilians were not independently verified in the statement.











