Phnom Penh Accuses Thai Forces of Unprovoked Gunfire at O’Smach
PHNOM PENH, May 24, 2026 — Cambodia has accused Thai military forces of firing 22 rounds of gunfire near the O’Smach International Border Checkpoint in Oddar Meanchey province, in what Phnom Penh described as an unprovoked incident occurring on Cambodian territory.
In a press release issued on Sunday, Cambodian authorities said the shooting took place between 9:24am and 10:10am, citing an official report from Military Region 4 of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF).
According to the statement, the gunfire was allegedly carried out by Thai military forces in an area Cambodia claims is its sovereign territory but remains under illegal occupation by Thai troops.
The Cambodian side said no casualties were reported following the incident.
In response, the liaison team of Cambodia’s Military Region 4 sent a formal protest letter to the Thai Army Area 2 Liaison Team, demanding that Thailand verify the facts surrounding the shooting and ensure stricter troop discipline.
Cambodia also called on the Thai side to fully comply with the Joint Statement of the Cambodia–Thailand General Border Committee (GBC) signed on December 27, 2025, which established ceasefire and stabilisation measures following border clashes last year.
The latest incident adds to continuing tensions along the Cambodia–Thailand border despite ongoing diplomatic and military engagement between the two countries.
Both governments have repeatedly pledged to resolve disputes peacefully through bilateral mechanisms including the Joint Boundary Commission (JBC), the General Border Committee (GBC) and the Regional Border Committee (RBC), while ASEAN observer teams continue monitoring ceasefire implementation in sensitive border areas.





