AOT inspects 14 sites in Cambodia-Thailand border dispute
PHNOM PENH, Aug. 23, 2026 — An ASEAN observer team led by the Philippines inspected 14 locations along the Cambodia-Thailand border on Sunday where Cambodia says the Thai military had deployed 44 shipping containers, Cambodia’s Defence Ministry said.
The Cambodian Liaison Group coordinated the field visit at 8:25 a.m. for the ASEAN Observer Team in Cambodia (AOT-KH) to observe, verify and report on the situation along the border, the ministry said in a statement.
The sites were in the area of the Boeung Trakoun Border Checkpoint in Kouk Romiet commune, Tmor Pouk district, Banteay Meanchey province, according to the statement.
Cambodia described the container deployment as illegal and said it had prevented 7,873 Cambodian civilians, or 1,869 families, from returning to their homes. The ministry said 1,847 children were among those affected.
The ASEAN team’s observation and verification underscored the need for the Cambodia-Thailand Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) to begin border demarcation work as soon as possible, the ministry said.
Cambodia said this was in line with existing agreements, including point four of the Joint Statement issued after the third special meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand General Border Committee (GBC) on Dec. 27, 2025. That provision calls for conditions allowing civilians to return to their homes safely, peacefully and with dignity without obstruction, according to the ministry.
Cambodia also reiterated its position that the country’s international border with Thailand should be maintained according to boundaries established by the Indochina-Siam Boundary Commission and applicable international law.
The ministry cited the principle of uti possidetis juris, as well as Franco-Siamese conventions and treaties, boundary maps and commission records, along with the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the 2003 Terms of Reference (TOR) and other agreements and documents previously accepted by both sides.
Cambodia said it would not recognize changes to the border resulting from what it described as the use of force or illegal territorial occupation intended to create a fait accompli on the ground.
It said it would continue to formally protest to Thailand against what it called unilateral or abusive actions affecting Cambodia’s territorial integrity.
The statement was issued on Sunday by the spokeswoman of Cambodia’s Ministry of National Defence.














